As you probably know Tuesday 25th February is Pancake Day. That means it’s a good time to offer your customers pancake treats.
Historically, ‘Shrove Tuesday’ is the day before Ash Wednesday. It is practiced in many countries around the world where the Christian faithful try to be ‘shriven’ before Lent. For instance, it is called Mardi Gras in the United States which means ‘Fat Tuesday’ whereas the French indulge in using up fatty foods before Lent.
Pancake Day generally came as a way of people using up rich foods such as eggs, milk, flour and sugar to prepare in advance for the 40 days of fasting.
Below is the recipe for DIY enthusiasts or if you are in a hurry you can use ready-made from the Supermarket after a few seconds in the microwave.
- 250g Flour
- 1/4 tbsp salt
- 2 Large eggs
- 500ml Milk
- Knob of butter
- Caster sugar (for sprinkling)
- Fresh lemon (for squeezing)
Method (10 minutes):
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl
- Break eggs into a bowl and then add your flour
- Pour in half of the milk and whisk. Add the remaining milk
until the batter is lovely and smooth
- Heat a pan over low heat and add a knob of butter until it is hot
- Use a ladle to spoon in the batter and have your turner on hand ready to flip! Once set, Cook on the other side for around 30 seconds.
- Slide onto a warm plate and sprinkle over sugar and lemon juice and eat straight away!
- Or why not try topping with a generous layer of strawberry jam along with a dollop of cream and some ice cream on the side